River East Neighbourhood Network - Trail Committee Northeast Pioneers Greenway|
A sub-committee of RENN is the River East Trail Committee. The purpose of the Committee is to:
- Create a healthy and vibrant community that will encourage people to participate in regular physical activity.
- Create a safer community by encouraging residents to walk, cycle, run in groups throughout the various neighbourhoods.
- Create viable non-motorized transportation routes.
The Committee Plan of Action includes:
- To facilitate resident participation in the design and implementation of the path.
- To hold community consultation meetings to ensure the community is included in the design process.
- To link the various parks, community centres and schools with the non-motorized path.
- To develop a non-motorized path that will ultimately provide connectivity to the various trails presently established and to future trails currently being designed throughout other parts of the city and surrounding municipalities.
Notice of Next Meeting:
To Be Announced
Access River East, 975 Henderson Hwy
Development of an Active Transportation Corridor
Northeast Pioneers Greenway
The former Raleigh-Gateway trail line (informally known as the Marconi Line) was purchased by business owner Mr. John Buhler and in collaboration with the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba made it possible to develop an active transportation corridor in the north-east quadrant of Winnipeg.
An opening ceremony of the Northeast Pioneers Greenway
was held on September 27th, 2007 in the Elmwood Community. A cairn was unveiled by Premier Gary Doer, Mayor Sam Katz and John Buhler to mark the opening of the Greenway and to recognize those who made the Greenway possible.
The Northeast Pioneers Greenway (NPG) is an active transportation corridor providing connectivity to the Forks and downtown area in the south. Future greenway expansion in the north will provide an important link to East St Paul and trails to the north. The Northeast Pioneers Greenway will provide connectivity to Transcona Trails http://www.mts.net/~ttrails/ in the east and in the west, connectivity to the Trans Canada Trail http://www.mrta.mb.ca/Trails/wta/transcanada.html
To view a map of the Northeast Pioneers Greenway click on the following link:www.mrta.mb.ca At the bottom of the page click on Winnipeg Trail Maps.
RENN-TC offers many opportunities for you to become involved in your community. There are projects underway related to:
- Area History
- Environment & Habitat Restoration
- Commemorative Bench Program
- Interpretive Signage
- Special Events
If you are interested in learning more about Northeast Pioneers Greenway or
becoming a volunteer on the trail committee, please contact the community facilitator Cath McFarlane at email@example.com or by phone at 938-5040 located at Access River East, 975 Henderson Highway.
|Opening of NPG and unveiling of cairn September 27th , 2007
Financial contributor to NPG John Buhler and daughter with the NPG signage
Premier Gary Doer and Mayor Sam Katz with elected officials at ribbon cutting